Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Smart Tips Tuesday

laundry th 005


One of my all time favorite sites http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/, has a marvelous chat room where you can learn how to do just about anything ‘farm girl’ style. Check out her book, Mary Jane's Ideabook.Cookbook.Lifebook-for the farmgirl in all of us, it's a great source for all the 'old' time ways.


Almost two years ago, I found a recipe for making my own laundry detergent from this site. It is super easy and very inexpensive. No harmful chemicals and low scents. You can add your own essential oil, for a wonderful fragrance, like lavender or lemon.


Here’s the recipe:

3 bars if soap (Fels Napha or Castile)-grated

1- 4# box Borax

1- 4# box Arm and Hammer Washing Soda

2- 4# boxes of Baking Soda (Some recipes do not call for this, but it would be a great softener, if you have hard water)


Grate and mix, use 2-3 Tablespoons per wash load. Also vinegar makes a great rinse, to remove static cling. I often use vinegar, right in the wash to remove strong odors.


Here’s one for the dishwasher:

1 Cup Borax

1/2 Cup Baking Soda

Use vinegar as a rinse agent.


laundry 005


Some farm owners love it!

4 comments:

  1. Wowzers! your right! look how 'clean' Dash came outta the wash! lolol! & his stuff toy too!
    giggle, snork, ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I have a photo almost exactly like the first one you posted here! I just made 18 lbs of laundry detergent last week and took photos, but I now I've been uploading about our weekend trip to the coast. LOL

    Be watching kindred Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen...... I so admire your hard work! Me, I go to the store and buy laundry detergent. Your laundry certainly looks whiter than mine though........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using this recipe for well over a year now and will never ever use anything else. IT's about a penny a load and works BETTER than the high dollar stuff in the red bottle. I posted this on my blog a couple months ago(?) and many have gotten hooked now...

    ReplyDelete

"Life is a big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

So throw some paint at me!! Thanks and come back soon! :)