Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thriftin’ Time Tuesdays

window 001
I’ve been wanting to craft an old window with chicken wire….since way before I got chickens.  This old window…a freebie…was the perfect choice.  So this weekend, I went about removing the glass from the window panes….carefully.  Eye and hand protection are a real good idea.  I broke off all the putty and cleaned her up a bit with the putty knife.
      window 002 

      window 003 
Cut a piece of chicken wire a bit larger (all the way around) than the window.  I used a staple gun for nailing down the wire…start at one end (say the right end) and stretch it as you go, working North and South, West across the right end section…working toward the left (West) end. Trim all the excess wire so none sticks out from the edges.
                  window 004
Now you can decorate it any way you want…hang small yard tools on it….or
window 014
add some shelves on the bottom and make a gardening center out of it.  I got so carried away, I made another item.
                  window 011 
Lots of room here for decoration. 
           window 012 
I just had to display, some of my favorite McCoy pottery on the little shelves.  And some time back, I embroidered the little scarecrow, on a Earth shoe bag.  So it too, claimed some space.  I store my seeds packets in it. 
           window 018 
I’m linking up to these parties…..   

Boogieboard Cottage
 
                                                        Keeping It Simple
                                                       

                                                     

Photobucket
 
 

<cent/center>                             

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful items. Love them all you clever girl you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How totally unique that is, so many different things to do with it. YOU have a crafty mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. What a great idea with the chicken wire and those little shelves on the bottom are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - that is AWESOME!!!

    I am lusting over the shoe bag you embroidered! AND your pottery...

    Okay. Fine. ALL of it! ;-D

    robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I'm going to feature your post this week on my top ten at Boogieboard Cottage. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! I love it. I just passed up on some old windows my neighbor was throwing out - darn! I love the embroidered bag too. Super cute. I'm your newest follower. I hope you can stop by Cottage and Creek for a visit.
    ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it!!! The chicken wire + shelf = cool looking display!!! Thanks for sharing at my NTT party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an awesome makeover. I've changed a pane of glass, so I know I could do this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really into windows this year and yours looks great. But that whisk broom caught my eye. With fall nearing how great the texture and color.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your finished product SO much! Thank you so much for the inspiration---I just adore anything with chicken wire on it! And the shelfs really add a wonderful touch! I am excited to be a new follower and really hope to get to know you more! Thank you SO much for linking up this week at Crafty Scrappy Happy!!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful use of an old window. These windows are getting harder and harder to find, lucky you. Love the embroirdered scarecrow. I heart scarecrows.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving this...I am dying to build my barn/hen house so I can make it shaby chic too.

    I am a new follower.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfection! Anything old and chicken wire ahhh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that idea, Karen! The little garden center you created is fantastic. And your McCoy pots are fabulous!!! I LOVE the color.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. It's always fun to see what you've been up to.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea. I'd love to find an old window, especially a free one! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete

"Life is a big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

So throw some paint at me!! Thanks and come back soon! :)