Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Victoria Falls, Livingstone, Zambia

In 1855 David Livingstone marked this sight with "Scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angels in their flight."
I took these pictures from the north edge (and I mean edge!) of the falls. My brother, Kevin, who does not like heights did not like me near this edge at all. I must say that when we were on the south side I mentioned those 'crazy idiots across the way!' so I should have held my tongue. It certainly is different to view someone standing up so high on a tiny ledge from the opposite side, as opposed to being there. It truly is a very long way down. In my next posting you will see that we sat on this very edge in the Zambezi River.

This gorge, one of nine, is a very popular spot for rafting. This time of year it is fairly safe but gets very dangerous when there is more rainfall. I might not be real safe, if you look down at the bottom of the picture you can see how close to the edge I am standing, a little too close for comfort. It's a long long ways down!


There was a bit of disappointment at the lack of water over the falls but this way we were able to see more of the terrain. It could have been too misty for any decent pictures.



1 comment:

  1. I love rocks and seeing this was amazing. I am so thankful you are sharing these photo's with me I hope to learn how to go to your album to see all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

"Life is a big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

So throw some paint at me!! Thanks and come back soon! :)