Monday, November 7, 2016

Winter Camping

SW 015




Two years ago I took 'Driving Ms. Daisy' down to White Bird, ID for my first winter camping event.  She went down the first of November and stayed all winter...until May.  I would visit her every few weeks, weather permitting (it is about a 3.5 hour trip over two mountain passes) during the season. 

I loved staying in her with my new little fireplace...she was cozy and warm.  It was very cold on some trips, like New Year's eve when it was 10 below.  We hung out by the campfire, with our snacks freezing in a very short time!  We would sun bath (albeit, fully covered in the sun), craft or read, take walks and play games.  Of course, sitting around the campfire was the best!  What wonderful memories!

After one winter I realized that Ms. D was not designed for winter camping.  With the heater running to keep me warm and the super cold temps outside, she would sweat inside below my bed cushions and on the walls.  I did insulate her as best I could but that may have also made that problem worse.  She got a small leak in the ceiling and after many attempts to fix it (too cold for the caulk to really dry) I decided it was best not to bring her back again.





So along came my 17.5 ft of Bigfoot, which I purchased in November of 2015.  Four season....so insulated and with double pane windows....yay!  A propane furnace, a bathroom with shower, self priming stove, hot water tank, outdoor shower and a huge fridge.  Everything a gal could want, plus I can haul it with my Toyota Highlander.  







 I just took her down to White Bird this weekend for her second winter.  It was a gorgeous weekend, perfect temps and lots of sun.  I winterizer her with (girl) help and did some little fix it jobs, mostly organizing and changing out, for more convenience.  Some decorating for Christmas is awaiting me in December.

Thank you all for your good wishes for a quick recovery from my Ablation.  I got out and walked a couple of days and rested more the other two....just needed to monitor how much I tried to do.  I am improving as I was able to get off one medicine that was making me so lethargic.  Yay!  I will continue to walk this week in hopes of building up my stamina.

I am a happy camper.  Heehee.....







12 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, I wondered how far the drive to Swiftwater was for you...I guess that it is driveable in good weather. So cold, I love your Bigfoot and the extra insulation for wintertime. I think that my little Aloha would be so cold that I wouldn't do any camping in the cold conditions. I once made the trip from Lewiston north on that highway. White Bird is very pretty, I stopped at the historic location of the Battle....I could see why the Natives stayed there during the winter. That old road with all the switchbacks was quite the impressive way to travel that pass, I do say that the new hwy is pretty impressive, too. I hope that all is well with you. Thanks for your comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you and your new bff-camper can spend the winters in a place you love. I am glad she is okay to sit by herself in between your visit and you know she is okay because she is 4 season worthy. I am happy to hear that you are recovering nicely and that you are feeling better and off one of your meds. xo Diana

    ps. Sure wish I could join you gals for a weekend like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. That's one of the great things about camping, if you want to rest, so be it😊 Does your Bigfoot have a name other than Bigfoot yet? Or is it Bigfoot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I call her Steel Magnolia. Not that there is much steel in her but she has grit!

      Delete
  4. I am sooo ready to make the change and upgrade to a newer and more practical trailer,, but then I go sit out in my lil "scotty w/o a potty'',,, and fall in love with her all over again...
    But she is in need of some plastic surgery if I plan to continue to use her...
    I luv the fiber glass trailers and wish I still had my Scamp.. oh well...
    I can hardly wait to see your Bigfoot... but will always have a soft spot in my heart for "DMD",,, and Dashypoo sitting her the doorway...
    hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all want some plastic surgery at some point...but your sweet scotty deserves it...you have done well by her.

      Delete
  5. You are a brave woman to camp in the winter, but your new camper sounds like it's set up perfectly to keep you warm and comfy. You've certainly got some gorgeous views!

    I hope you continue to feel better. Nothing like getting out for a long walk to clear your mind and get that circulation going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are feeling better and recovering (albeit slowly) which is always a little discouraging.. but glad you're a "happy camper"!!! Love your bigfoot. I want a little something I can haul with my car... a "bed on wheels" would be fine for me. Have been searching and maybe in a couple of years will be financially able to do it. Are there some nice camping spots closer to home for winter camping? That drive over the mountains could be scary! Take care.... love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are feeling better..Sometimes it takes a while to get the meds straightened out..Great that you are a "happy camper" and that your new home is working out for you..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, I'm sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. I hope that you will be on the mend now.
    And....I didn't know you had bought another trailer! Is that just for your winter glamping? What a great little trailer! I would love to see pics of inside! I always love your vintage trailer posts too. Such great spaces these people have created!!!
    Take care...
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steel Magnolia is a peach...ha! Nice and toasty inside when I need her to be. Yes, she is just my winter camping trailer. Doing much better and trying to add more walking...got a cold right now....ugh.

      Delete
  9. Good to see you had a wonderful time....it was a great weekend for a camp in. So glad you are feeling better. Lunch soon!!

    ReplyDelete

"Life is a big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

So throw some paint at me!! Thanks and come back soon! :)