Friday, October 22, 2010

Dangerously Dry

 

I came home from Spokane (WA) to find my neighborhood engulfed in smoke. Fires are fairly common (one every year or so) in this area.  There is a lot of forested land south of me, with a large part of that in a National Reserve.  The day before yesterday, there was another fire, this one on Turnbull Reservation, also not far from me. 

There are two main train tracks running east and west, at the end of my property,  so lots of potential for sparks off the tracks, which start a lot of fires each year.  If you look closely, you will see a train back by the forest.fire 001

I noticed helicopters from Fairchild Air Force base flying over, keeping watch.  It appeared they got the fire out fairly fast.  fire 002

fire 007

Under control.  sunrise 006

And this is the smoky beauty it created this morning!

3 comments:

  1. That is awfully dry...glad it got under control

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't have to worry about fires after today. Fronts moving in over the mountains tomorrow night should bring much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.... fires scare me soooo much!
    It's so good to hear that you're doing okay..... praying for some rain...for you and us!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete

"Life is a big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

So throw some paint at me!! Thanks and come back soon! :)