Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Chicken Addition

 

            run 003

It’s a door….what kind of door is that?….why it’s a chicken run door, of course.

     run 004

                  run 005 

Adding the hinges and hanging the door.  (You know what I hate..  wood that is not straight!….what is up with that?)  How is a girl to be perfect?

run 006 

Making sure all the holes are covered with chicken wire.  A bit of lath to cover the end cuts so no one gets hurt, chicken and humans!

run 007 

Finally a finished door: latch, handle and chicken wire.

 run 008 

Today I finished putting the chicken wire on the rest of the walls and ceiling….a very difficult job, when you are working alone.  I had a small melt down, as I have had no energy this week.  Pounding in the heavy staples, pulling the wire, handling the large cumbersome roll of wire and trying to move in all the mounded dirt, with heavy winds; almost got the best of me!  Needless to say it took me forever in the very hot weather and I was a filthy mess, when I got done at 5 pm. It was a long day and I will sleep like a baby (chick) tonight. 

run 010 

 

run 012 

 

run 021 

 

run 019 

 

run 026  I will add the chicken door (from the coop to the run), some sand and a roust and then introduce the girls to their new playpen.  Maybe this will produce some eggs!

10 comments:

  1. It looks great. I'm sure the hens will love it. Hope you got that sleep you were wishing for. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! And despite the hard work, isn't it always so satisfying when you complete a job like this? I know what it is like to wrangle with a roll of that darn chicken wire too. I was scratched from head to toe!!! The girls will love their new run. Do you ever let them free range? Mine do every day!!! Now that they are about to lay, I will only be letting them out after eggs have been collected and when I am out in the yard too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hotdoggie, soon those girls will be sunnin' and peckin' in no time. I hope they will reward you with plenty of eggs for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish i was closer to help you..so much easier when you have two people that don't really know what they are doing...speaking for myself of course! ..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done such a good job for your ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You da man!!
    Great job!! I could have never done that myself!!
    And you put wire on top, perfect!! Fox proof!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry you had such a hard time with the chicken wire..it is so hard to work with...and pokey, too. Wish I could have been there to give you a hand...but it is done...and YOU did a great job!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you've done......I hope your girls are appreciative of all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Karen....the chicken run looks great!! I love the picture of the sun glowing through your decoration.

    Great job!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is super cute!! I would love to have some chickens... um... so would my cats lol

    ReplyDelete

"Life is a big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

So throw some paint at me!! Thanks and come back soon! :)